Distrokid – What is a Personal Tax Number?

When setting up your account with Distrokid, you will run into this question. For me personally, I had to go through helplines to figure it out; but I’m going to save you all the hassle.

On Distrokid a personal tax number is the number you use when employers at jobs ask for within your country. This number is called different things based on your country. It attaches your earnings to your taxable income in your country.

They’re different for every country, but here’s a short list:

  • United Kingdom: NINO (National Insurance Number)
  • United States: SSN (Social Security Number)
  • Canada: SIN (Social Insurance Number)
  • Germany: IdNr (Identifikationsnummer)
  • Australia: TFN (Tax File Number)

Please do due diligence, I’m not a tax professional in my own country, let alone an international tax master. Look into what designates you for your own countries of residence.